SCHOOL OF MEDICINE, HEALTH & APPLIED SCIENCES
Poised to become one of the Caribbean’s premier institutions for medical education and training, the Caribbean School of Medical Sciences, Jamaica (CSMSJ) is committed to developing a quality workforce of professionals ready to confront and conquer the challenges of 21st century medicine.
CSMSJ is headed by Dr. Neville Graham, OD, MD, FRCS (Edinburgh), Consultant Surgeon and Dean with Professor Errol Morrison, OJ, MD, PhD as Chairman of the Board of Governors.
The school started in 2014 with its first cohort of Dipolma in Pre-med students commenced on April 15, 2015 and first cohort of Doctor of Medicine degree students commenced on August 31, 2015.
We offer a four (4) Semester (16 months) diploma course in Pre-Medical Sciences training students to sit the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) and a (4) years, twelve (12) semester Doctor of Medicine Degree course. Our medical programme aims to prepare medical students to sit the United States Licensing Medical Examinations (USMLE).
We are located at 15 Braemar Avenue, Kingston 10, Jamaica, W.I.
Telephone: 1-876-929-6422, 1-876-544-8903
Caribbean School of Medical Sciences, Jamaica (CSMSJ) have its own Board of Governors, which is the highest decision making body headed by the Chairman. Both the Board and the Chairman is appointed for a period of no longer than four (4) years. The Board of Governors is responsible to appointing the Dean and Vice Dean.
At least sixty percent of the board members are appointed to the new administration.
Caribbean School of Medical Sciences, Jamaica (CSMSJ) functions a standalone institution and a part of the University of the Commonwealth Caribbean as its Academic arm in Medicine, Health Science and Natural Science school. The Board of Governors and ownership have not change but an MOU has determined the relationship the University of the Commonwealth Caribbean. Our degrees and diplomas will be jointly CSMSJ/UCC. UCC will appoint members to our Board of Governors, Academic Committee and Administrative Committee based on an agreement.
Board of Governors
- Prof Errol Morrison – Chairman
- Mrs. Casie Jean Graham-Davis – Attorney-at-Law (Board Secretary)
- Prof Christopher Whittaker – University of Maryland, Moore House Institute of Neuroscience
- Prof. Earle Taylor – Deputy Vice Chancellor, University of Management, Namibia
- Prof Gosset Oliver – VP, School of Graduate Studies, Research and Continuing Studies and Entrepreneurship
- Ambassador Odale Robinson – Ambassador of Jamaica to Cuba
- Mr. Amitabh Sharma –VP Corporate Affairs, HIAECO
- Dr Lloyd Goldson – Consultant Gynecologist
- Prof Elsa Cabrera – University of Havana, Hospital Amejeiras
- Dr Lucien Tomlinson – Consultan
- Mr. Sheldon Miller – President AY 2016-2017, Student Council
- University of the Caribbean College Representative
- Dr Neville Graham – Dean
- Dr Lorenzo Gordon – Vice Dean
- Miss Daniella Hyde – Registrar & Chief Administrator
- Mr. Julio Dawkins – Chief Finance & Development Officer
- Dr Arlene Blake-McCain – HOD Basic Sciences Department (Staff Representative)
- Dr Gabriel Harewood – HOD Pre Med (Staff Representative)
Clinical Teaching Facilities
The Caribbean School of Medical Sciences, Jamaica has signed agreements with the University of Technology, Jamaica, Winchester Surgical and Medical Institute, Heart Institute of the Caribbean and other private institutions. The CSMSJ signed MOUs with GOJ through Ministries of Health for clinical sites. Part of these MOUs have embedded our commitment to standardize these sites making them adequate for training in accordance with WHO and Foundation for Advancement of International, Medical Education and Research (FAIMER) and CAAM-HP standards.
- Ministry of Health, Jamaica (All Hospitals)
- Cuba, Hospital Clinica Quirurgico – Hermanos Ameijeiras
- PASS PROGRAM
- CSMSJ Anatomy Laboratory
- UTech Dental School Anatomy Laboratory
- Morgan’s Funeral Home – Pathology Laboratory
- Bookshelves, Desk and chairs
- Cubicles, Reading room
- Facility for Online access EBSCO Information Services
- Moodle – Online Resource Center
- Class material (lecture notes, books)
Course delivery strategy
- 2 Classrooms at 15 Braemar Avenue powered by multimedia
- University of the Commonwealth Caribbean lecture rooms to accommodate 500 students
- Lecture Theatre – capacity 250 Persons
- tutorial and dry lab rooms [to accommodate 25 students per room]
- 1 Conference - capacity 25 Persons – equipped with multimedia, video conferencing and 1 Smart TV
- Secured Wi-Fi enabled Campus
- Lectures delivery – onsite and online (blended learning experience)
- Dry labs (case studies, 3D simulation, Moodle) for biochemistry, physiology and microbiology
- 3D animation and simulation and plasticized
- Share Anatomy and Physiology labs
- Nurses’ Station
- 10 full time staff (Academic and Administration)
- 35 part time staff/Contracted staff
The CSMSJ Foundation assist in community outreach initiatives it chose specific projects locally and internationally in the advancement of Health Care on an annual basis. The foundation consists of members of the board, the faculty, students and community representatives.